Monday, July 7, 2008

4th of July activities...

So, My Mom got into town at the end of last week and we decided that we would venture out on Saturday to Saluda, NC for the Annual Coon Dog Day Festival. As we rolled into town, we hit lots of traffic (I think we were a part of the annual parade - YIKES). This very kind, older gentleman helped me get a parking spot at the Presbyterian church downtown. Once I got out of the car and he saw how pregnant I was, he told me that he was glad to help. How nice!! Mom and I proceeded to walk through the thousands of people and dogs. We browsed through the tents with items to purchase and ate a bite at the Whistle Stop Cafe (anyone remember the movie Green Fried Tomatoes?). There was bluegrass music playing while we were there too. It was really a neat experience and I can definitely see why people look forward to it every year.

Just to add to this excitement, Mom and I were trying to find some neat fireworks to watch. After searching for spots, we ended up at a place called Jelly Stone Park (Seriously....that is the name...You gotta love Yogi Bear!!). It is a camping park (obviously, if you remember the cartoon) and the fireworks were over the lake. It was actually pretty neat! So, who can beat going to the Coon Dog Day Festival and watching fireworks at Jelly Stone Park for the 4th of July weekend? Anyone?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gina, We're so glad that you are doing well - getting out to coon hunts, and charming old men! We are waiting with great anticipation to hear about the new member of the Perry Fam.

Pass on to Grace and Herman that Everett is settled and well! n

Remsen and Becca Parrish.... said...

I can't beat it--just glad the fireworks didn't scare Baby Perry out!