Thursday, April 29, 2010

Uses of Paper

When you think about paper, most of us think of the material that we use to write on, color on, cut things out of, fold airplanes with, etc. Well, for the Shaw grandchildren (not me and Doug...talking about Ava Grace and Luke here), paper has 2 other uses. We have always laughed about Luke's use of paper. When he was younger and we went to eat Mexican food, he would always order cheese and paper (aka...a quesadilla). He was too cute about it and we laughed every time he said it as if it was the first time. Now, Ava Grace has created another use for paper. After supper tonight, she wanted some strawberries. Before I could take the stem off of them for her to enjoy, she pulled the green leaves off and handed them to me saying, "Mommy, here's the paper". I kind of dismissed it at first thinking, "Did she just say paper?" I didn't ask her, but when she wanted another strawberry, I listened carefully and sure enough, she referred to the leaves of the strawberry as "paper". I laughed out loud and she looked at me strangely. One day, she will think it is funny too (just like Luke thinks his paper and cheese story is funny), but until then, I think I will just let her call the leaves of a strawberry "paper". It gives me a chuckle and of course she is so darn cute when she says it!!

No comments: