Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Edgefield Fun


About a week and a half ago, my mom's family got together for my cousin's wedding. It was one of the best weekends ever!! My aunt and uncle from South Florida drove up and my cousins and great-aunt from Alabama came. We all stayed at a place called Turkey Ridge, which is in Edgefield County. The place was amazing!! The house was beautiful and the scenery was to die for!! It was so quiet...I definitely enjoyed hearing birds, geese, crickets, and frogs as opposed to airplanes, motorcycles, and cars. We arrived on Friday a little after suppertime to find everyone sitting on the porch enjoying the nice weather. Caroline and Henry were waiting on Ava Grace so they could play! That is really all we did....sit on the porch, enjoy cocktails and all the yummy food that was made, and watch the children play.

On Saturday morning, everyone went to tour my great-grandmother's house. This is a house that I have heard about my entire life. My great-grandmother died the year before I was born, so not knowing her, I never got to experience the house my mom talked about. The couple who own it now opened their house up graciously for us to see the renovations. It was beautiful!! I could tell that the memories overwhelmed my mom and her sisters. I really can't put into words how neat the house is and how well preserved it is. It is so wonderful to think that the owners are taking such good care of a place that means so much to other people.


Thomas and Casey got married on Saturday afternoon. It was a beautiful wedding and they are so happy!! Congrats again to them!! I, on the other hand, was stressed out since I had Ava Grace in the church with us the WHOLE time. Now, I understand why children are not usually invited to weddings. She really behaved very well and thank goodness we are Methodist, I couldn't have made it through a longer ceremony!!


The weekend was so much fun!! I am so happy that our family far away were able to come for the weekend. I wish we could have stayed longer, but of course we all had to get back to work and reality.

3 comments:

The Russells said...

Isn't the house gorgeous??! How special that we have all been able to go and look around in our great grandmother's home. Sounds like you all had a nice wedding weekend. Mary Beth

Amy and Michael said...

What an amazing weekend. Seeing history is wonderful, but when it's from your own family and being around those you love make it so special. So glad you guys had a great time!

sudonnelly said...

Gina, What a great way to tell everyone about some of our heritage. Yes, it was a wonderful weekend full of memories, laughter, a few wines, a sweet wedding for Thomas & Casey and to top it off....I got to see my "Ava Grace" miss you guys and hope to see you again soon. Aunt Susan