Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Remembering....

It has been a somewhat sad day yet a day filled with many memories for my family. It is so hard to believe that 14 years ago today my dad (Granddaddy to Ava Grace) passed away. Of course I can relive that day as if it happened yesterday, but instead of thinking about all of the pain and confusion of that day in 1994, I have been thinking about the fun times. There are definitely too many for me to write about, but I want to share a little bit about the times I remember and how wonderful my dad was. Of course it goes without saying that I was definitely a "Daddy's Girl"!! I lived in his back pocket!! We had many special times spent together - just the two of us. Lets see....I would go with him on Saturday mornings to the high school to clean out the locker room after the football games, I would go with him to the high school and just roam around finding things to do as he worked with the athletes (he knew I would be ok...I could run the school after all!), I would go on the practice football field every afternoon after tennis practice to tell him about the match I played that day (win or lose), we would shag in the living room and watch the contest on tv every Saturday night, and I would sit by him most Sundays at church just so he could put his arm around me!! Of course there are many memories that we have as a family too....wonderful vacations, Christmas Eve and Christmas morning, any sporting event that involved Doug or me (there were lots of those along with the other athletic events we attended at MBHS), and watching football while eating boiled peanuts on Saturdays and Sundays. I could go on and on about my dad and how much he means to our family. He truly was the best dad in the world!! I think about him every day and wonder if I am living up to half the person that he was. He was one of the most caring, sensitive, giving, and loving men I have ever known. Although most people only knew my dad as a football coach, teacher, or athletic director at the high school, he was a person whose character went far beyond those titles. I know that many people miss him very much and so do I!! I have accomplished a lot in the last 14 years that I know he would be so proud of!! Of course I wish he could have been here to share everything - high school graduation, graduation from Wofford, grad school graduation, getting married, and most recently having a baby. I know Ava Grace and Luke would bring a HUGE smile to his face.
So, on this day as my heart hurts because I miss you so much, I am so thankful for the 17 years I had with you and the lifetime of memories that you left for us. I know no matter what, I will always be "your little girl"!! I love you so much!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This touched my heart in more ways than I can tell you! I know your dad would be so proud of the beautiful woman you are today!! Know that you are loved beyond words!!

Mama said...

Gina, this was absolutely lovely. I am so glad you find such comfort in all the good times. Hopefully you will see some of your dad in Ava Grace as she grows. And that she will have the same relationship with her dad as you had with yours.

Shirley said...

Gina: That was beautiful! Yes it is a sad day. But we all have wonderful memories and that will never be taken away from us.

And you have definitely made him proud. There is no doubt about that.

I miss him very much as well and think about him often. You will have some wonderful stories to tell Ava Grace when she is old enough to understand.

Love, Shirley

Whit said...

Gina,

Not only was that beautiful. I can honestly say that I may be one of the few that knew your father as much more than coach. Don't think for one second that he is not gleaming ear to ear watching you and Doug and your families.

And to lighten the mood a little bit, you just made me cry at my office.

Anonymous said...

He is Smiling from ear to ear! And very proud of you and Doug! Love you bunches!